July 14, 2017 at 05:19AM

Reddit scan:I hope this is appropriate to post here. (If not, please accept my apologies!)I have decided to go into education. I've built a career in UX design, web/app development, and photography, but I'm ready to switch gears. I never went to college but now find myself with the opportunity to do so. I'd like to do something more focused on education, and I want to make an informed decision as to the best way forward.What I want to doSpecifically, I'm interested in teaching or supporting science through project-based, STEM/STEAM learning, or supporting others in doing so. I think this would be the most effective from 6th grade through high school. I'm considering roles like some (or all) of the following:Technology purchases, installation, and curriculum planning, at school or district levelsBuilding/maintaining makerspaces and innovation labs, possibly becoming a librarian with a focus on techDirect instruction of students (though I'm concerned about getting stuck in test prep instead of teaching)For direct instruction, my goal would be to introduce students to new tech and show them how they can use it to build careers... but without making it all about careers. I want to teach students to use 3D printers, microcontrollers (Arduino/Pi), laser cutters, etc. to literally build their dreams, and do so in a way that gets them to think about the process rather than just downloading pre-designed fidget spinners from Thingiverse. If it isn't feasible to do this as a standalone role I'd like to establish programs that empower other teachers to do so during blocks allotted for these activities. (i.e. establishing specific curriculum surrounding the use and instruction of the tech mentioned previously.)What I need from youInsight into what types of degrees you tend to see filling roles like those above, including but not limited to:Digital Media and LearningSecondary Teacher Ed (CLAS/SEHD/etc. Are credentials necessary if not directly teaching?)Educational/Instructional TechnologiesOthers?Recommendations for any specific Minors, extracurricular activities, or other background I should try to achieve in the next 4-6 yearsAny recommendations you have for specific roles/titles I might have missed or should considerAny other advice you may have! :-)If you or someone you know would be willing to help someone decide on a new, education-focused career path, I would love to speak with you. Thank you for your consideration! http://ift.tt/2sX2zpO by Towson Makerspace

Comments