June 09, 2017 at 05:34PM

Reddit scan:Hello everyone!I want to preface this post by stating now that I am not an expert in the maker movement. I am a 24-year-old recent college graduate with a background in graphic design (currently working full-time in package design).Quite recently, after a recent move I've found myself about an hour (at the least) away from my once local makerspace. I started thinking how amazing it would be to have a makerspace based locally in my hometown. Since then, I've been reading up as much as possible into the different dynamics that create these spaces as well as the processes for starting one up. One resource I've found very helpful is the Makerspace Playbook.While I continue to research as much as possible, I just had a few questions pertaining to the initial startup process.1) Do you need to be an expert in multiple categories to start one of these spaces up?2) Do you recommend filing said space as a non-profit? If so, how would you recommend growing enough capital to obtain all of the equipment and rental space?For starters, I've scheduled a meeting at my local town-hall where I'll be introducing the concept and hopefully gain insight on where I could potentially receive financial assistance through grants, etc. I also plan on establishing a local interest group where we will be meeting on a month-to-month basis to build momentum on this concept.Anyways, I guess what I'm asking here is - if you could provide any advice, insight, or anything else beneficial that would be GREATLY appreciated.Thanks everyone! http://ift.tt/2rKe8mj by Towson Makerspace

Comments